What Information Do You Need to Expunge or Seal Your Criminal Record?

If you want to expunge or seal your criminal record, you need specific information from your criminal record. This guide explains what information is necessary and how to get it.

What Information Do You Need to Expunge or Seal Your Criminal Record?

To expunge or seal your criminal record, you need to get certain information, including your:

  • Arrest date
  • The police department that arrested you
  • Offense that caused your arrest
  • Outcome of the case
  • Sentence
  • Date you completed your sentence

Where Can You Find All This Information?

If you don’t already have this information written down somewhere, you can find it on your criminal record.

Related: Can employers see sealed records?

How to Get a Copy of Your Criminal Record in Illinois

You can get a copy of your criminal record in a couple of ways. You may choose to get a Statewide Criminal History Transcript by getting your fingerprints taken and requesting them from:

Illinois State Police, Bureau of Identification
260 North Chicago St.
Joliet, IL 60432

You may also call 815-740-5160.

Alternatively, you can get the transcript from visiting Chicago Police Headquarters at 3510 South Michigan Avenue in Chicago after paying a $16 fee.

You may also mail a set of your fingerprints (after having them taken at a local police department), a copy of your ID, a $16 money order made out to the Department of Revenue, a self-addressed and stamped envelope, and a letter that asks for a copy of your Chicago RAP sheet to:

Chicago Police Department, Unit 166
Attention: Jerry Young
3510 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60653

Finally, you can ask your attorney to conduct a criminal background check for you.

After you have your criminal record, look over it carefully. Make sure all the information is correct and up to date. If any of the information is missing or wrong, you’ll need to get it corrected.

Related: How to view your own criminal record in Illinois

Working With an Attorney for Expungement and Sealing

Your attorney will need this same information to expunge or seal your record. If you’ve already obtained a copy of your criminal history transcript or Chicago RAP sheet, you can give it to your lawyer. If not, it’s okay; your attorney can get a copy for you.

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Expungement or Sealing?

If you’re tired of your criminal past coming back to bite you, we may be able to help. Call us right now at 847-920-4540 or fill out the form below so we can talk about your case.

Need Help? Reach Out Now.

"*" indicates required fields