If you’re thinking about joining the military, criminal record expungement might be your main priority – most branches of the U.S. Armed Forces won’t accept people who have significant criminal records. And while there are some crimes you can never expunge, you may be able to clear your record so you can start your military career with a clean slate. Here’s what you need to know.Military Criminal Record Expungement:
If you’re like many people, you want to know if you can expunge a misdemeanor in Illinois – and the answer is yes, but only if you meet certain conditions. Even if you don’t qualify for criminal record expungement, you may still qualify for criminal record sealing.
Expunge a Misdemeanor in Illinois: What You Need to Know
Only a handful of misdemeanors can be expunged from your record, and only if you meet certain conditions. If you were placed on supervision and you successfully completed that supervision for one of the following misdemeanors, you might qualify for expungement (but you’ll still need to talk to a Chicago expungement attorney to find out for sure):
- Operating an Uninsured Motor Vehicle
- Suspended Registration for Noninsurance
- Displaying of False Insurance
- Failure of Scrap Dealer to Keep Records
- Something other than what’s listed here, but you were placed on court supervision for it and you successfully completed supervision
- Something other than what’s listed here, but you were placed on Section 710, Section 410 or Section 70 probation for it and you successfully completed probation
If you were placed on “2nd Chance Probation” for one of the following offenses and it’s been at least 5 years since you completed probation, your misdemeanor might qualify for expungement:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Possession of Methamphetamine
- Theft (from a school, place of worship or government property)
- Criminal Damage to Property
- Criminal Damage to Government Supported Property
- Retail Theft
You still have to meet additional conditions in order to expunge these misdemeanors, though, which means it’s best to talk to an attorney about your specific situation.
Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Expunging a Misdemeanor in Illinois?
Some people are eligible to expunge a misdemeanor in Illinois – and you can call us right now at 847-920-4540 for a free consultation to find out if you might be one of them.