How to Prepare for Court for an Expungement in Illinois

Many people don’t have to go to court to expunge their criminal records in Illinois – but if you do, your attorney will let you know. Although your attorney will represent you at your hearing, this guide explains how to prepare for court for your expungement in Illinois (if you’re required to go).

How to Prepare for Court for an Expungement in Illinois

You and your attorney will work together to prepare for court if you’re required to appear for your case. Your lawyer will most likely advise you to figure out the worst-case scenario – what negative consequences will you face if the judge denies your request? Maybe you’ll continue to have a hard time finding a job or adequate housing, for example.

Your lawyer will also answer all your questions about the process, including what to expect after you arrive in court. You can ask other questions, too, such as what to wear or how to address the judge if you’re able to state your position during the hearing.

Related: What do the abbreviations mean on a RAP sheet in Illinois?

What if Someone Objects to Your Petition?

In some counties, people only have to go to court for an expungement petition if someone – such as the Illinois State Police, the arresting agency or the prosecutor – objects to the expungement. If that happens, your attorney will have the chance to respond to any objections to your request. Your lawyer will likely do so by explaining your side of the story, and if possible, demonstrating that you’re a productive member of society who deserves a fresh start. He’ll also explain the negative consequences you’ll suffer if the judge denies your request.

The bottom line is that your attorney will ensure that you’re prepared for court – and that he is, too – long before your appearance.

Related: Can an employer ask me about my criminal record in Illinois?

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Expunging or Sealing Your Criminal Record?

If you need to speak with an attorney about clearing your criminal record, we may be able to help you. Call us at 847-920-4540 now or fill out the form below for a free consultation.

Need Help? Reach Out Now.

"*" indicates required fields