How to Get Your Criminal Records in Skokie, Schaumburg or Rolling Meadows

If you want to have some or all of your criminal record expunged in Cook County, Illinois, your attorney will need copies of every record that authorities have on file. While your lawyer can conduct a background check for you, you can also get your own records and bring them to your appointment.

Types of Cook County Criminal Records

There are three main types of criminal records:

1. Local arrest records. Your local arrest records will show all your arrests and charges, as well as the outcomes of any court cases you have been a party to.

2. State arrest records. Your state arrest records will show all of your convictions within the state of Illinois.

3. Court dispositions. Court dispositions are simply the final judgment in a court case you have been part of; you won’t have court dispositions if you weren’t arrested or charged.

While there are a few exceptions, you usually can’t expunge your record if a Cook County court has convicted you of a crime.

How to Get Your Criminal Records in Skokie, Schaumburg or Rolling Meadows

Most people choose to have their expungement lawyer get their criminal records because it’s much simpler. However, if you want to get your own, you’ll need to visit the arresting agency – the police department that arrested and booked you – to get a copy of your arrest records.

If you have been convicted of a crime, your Illinois state records will reflect that; you can get those records from the Illinois State Police. Remember, in most cases, you cannot expunge convictions from your record. However, you might be able to seal them, so it’s a good idea to talk to your lawyer about your options if you want a fresh start.

You can also get copies of court dispositions from the courthouse at which you were tried. You’ll need to talk to the clerk of the court to find out what that court’s procedures are.

There are usually fees involved with all criminal record requests, as well as with court disposition requests. Check with the agency that has your records to see whether they accept credit cards, cash or checks.

If you’d like to make the process simpler, feel free to call us at 847-920-4540 or contact us online. We can pull your criminal record for you and then give you case-specific legal advice on how to proceed with your expungement or sealing.