“How do I expunge my record in Illinois?”
If you’re like many people, you’ve wondered how to get the fresh start you deserve – so here’s what you need to know.
How Do I Expunge My Record in Illinois?
There are two ways to expunge your record in Illinois, and one is easier – but more expensive – than the other. First, you can hire an attorney to perform a criminal background check and file an expungement petition for you. If that’s not in the cards for you, you can file your own expungement petition.
We have a DIY expungement and sealing service designed to help people just like you. You can use the service to get all the forms you need (we have them for every jurisdiction in Illinois) plus step-by-step written and video instructions. We’ll even provide you with access to an attorney if you have questions about your situation at any point during the process. Finally, we tell you where and how to file your forms, which varies by county and some cities. We take all the guesswork out of filing your own expungement or sealing petition so you don’t have to waste hours of your precious time figuring out what to do and where to go next.
How Does the Expungement Process Work When I Expunge My Record in Illinois?
Expungement typically follows this process:
- Your attorney fills out the right forms and provides the court with supporting documentation when he files your petition.
- Your petition makes its way through the court system with a stop at the state’s attorney’s desk.
- The state’s attorney decides whether to object to your petition or pass it along to the judge with no objection.
- If the state’s attorney objects to your expungement petition, you may be entitled to a hearing. Your lawyer can represent you at that hearing.
- The judge reviews your petition, your supporting documentation, the state’s attorney’s recommendation and other evidence before making a decision.
Related: Get your free guide to expungement and sealing now
Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Expunging a Record in Illinois?
If you’re eligible for expungement – or if you’re not sure whether you’re eligible – give us a call at 847-920-4540. We’ll have a look at your situation and talk to you about your options. If you are eligible for expungement or sealing, we can help you move forward to get the fresh start you deserve.