Do I Have a Criminal Record if My Case Was Dismissed?

Do I have a criminal record if my case was dismissed?

Yes, you do!

Here’s what you need to know.

Do I Have a Criminal Record if My Case Was Dismissed?

A lot of people are surprised to find out that they have a criminal record after having a case dismissed. That’s because the police and the court system both keep track of every case that comes through their files – and arrests and court cases stay there unless you actively take steps to remove them.

How to Remove Dismissed Cases From Your Criminal Record

If your arrest didn’t result in criminal charges, you don’t have to keep it on your record. Likewise, if your case was dismissed, it doesn’t need to stay on your record. To get rid of it and get a clean start, you may want to explore criminal record expungement or criminal record sealing.

What is Criminal Record Expungement?

Expungement is a complete reset. Your criminal record is destroyed or returned to you, which means it no longer exists in the court’s (or the police’s) files. It’s like it never even happened – and even if you have to fill out a job application, you can leave the box that says “Have you ever been arrested?” blank. Nobody can see your record… because it doesn’t exist.

What is Criminal Record Sealing?

Criminal record sealing is like expungement in that nobody can see your criminal record, but it doesn’t disappear. It’s simply blocked from public view. Law enforcement, judicial officers and some employers (like hospitals and the military) can still see it. Landlords and ordinary employers won’t see it, though; it’s not going to come up on a standard background check. Your records still exist.

How Do You Know if You’re Eligible for Expungement or Sealing?

Find out if you’re eligible to expunge or seal your arrest record (or dismissed cases) here. If you’re still not sure, give us a call at 847-820-4540 or fill out the form below. We’ll be happy to provide you with a free case review to discuss your eligibility – and we’ll let you know what you can do to clear your record… and your name.

Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch soon.