Can You Seal a DUI Arrest in Chicago?

If you’re like many people, you know that in the state of Illinois, it’s sometimes possible to expunge or seal a criminal record. But what about a DUI arrest? Is it possible to clear that from your criminal record? This guide explains.

Can You Seal a DUI Arrest in Chicago?

If you were arrested for DUI in Chicago or elsewhere in Illinois, but your arrest never led to a conviction, you may seal your record. The catch here is that you must not have been convicted of DUI. Otherwise, you are ineligible for criminal record sealing – at least for this offense.

You should talk to an attorney about your options if you were arrested and never charged, If you were arrested and the charges were later dropped, or if you went to court and were found not guilty of DUI. There’s a good chance that you may be able to seal the DUI from your criminal record so that it doesn’t come back to haunt you later.

Related: How long does it take to seal a criminal record in Illinois?

What About a DUI Conviction?

Unfortunately, if you were ever convicted of DUI, you’re not allowed to seal it on your criminal record. The only time you conceal anything that has to do with DUI is when it never resulted in a conviction.

Can You Seal Other Offenses if You Have a DUI on Your Record?

Simply having a DUI conviction on your record doesn’t preclude you from sealing or expunging other offenses. you may still feel other eligible arrests, charges and convictions.

What Should You Do if You Want to Seal a DUI Arrest?

If you’d like to seal a DUI arrest that’s on your criminal record, you may wish to speak to an attorney. Your attorney can begin the process by obtaining a copy of your complete criminal record. Then, your lawyer will also look at any other offenses that may qualify for sealing or criminal record expungement. From there, your attorney will file the appropriate petition or petitions to get you the fresh start you deserve.

Related: How far back does a background check go?

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Expungement or Sealing?

If you’re tired of your criminal past coming back to bite you, we may be able to help. Call us right now at 847-920-4540 or fill out the form below so we can talk about your case.

Need Help? Reach Out Now.