The types of convictions on your “rap sheet” matter when you’re trying to get your criminal record expunged in Chicago or elsewhere in Illinois.
However, not everything counts as a conviction. In fact, there are many types of criminal records that don’t count as convictions.
What Criminal Records Are Convictions?
Convictions always include a finding of guilt. Typically, you’ll have some sort of sentence attached to a conviction, such as:
- Supervision that you do not successfully complete
- Conditional discharges
- Jail time
- Prison time
- Time considered “served”
- Regular probation (other than 710, 1410 or TASC probation)
What Criminal Records Are Not Convictions?
Many people ask Chicago expungement attorneys about which criminal records count as convictions, and for good reason—it can be confusing.
For example, supervision is not always part of a conviction, provided that you satisfied the conditions of the supervision. However, if you didn’t successfully complete your supervision (meaning that it was revoked or terminated unsatisfactorily), you will need to talk to your attorney about whether it counts as a conviction.
Other criminal records that do not count as convictions include:
- Nolle Prosequi (NP)
- Stricken Off With Leave to Reinstate (SOL)
- Finding of No Probable Cause (FNPC)
- Released Without Charging (RWOC)
- Finding or Verdict of Not Guilty (either FNG or VNG)
- Successful completion of TASC probation
- Successful completion of 710 or 1410 probation
- Convictions approved for expungement by Prisoner Review Board
- Convictions that were reversed or vacated
Do You Qualify for Expungement?
You can take our quick questionnaire, Do I Qualify for Expungement, to find out whether you may qualify for a criminal record expungement. If you don’t qualify for expungement, you may still qualify for criminal record sealing. Even if you don’t qualify for either, you may still have options
If you’re not sure, call us at 847-920-4540 or get in touch with us online. We’ll be happy to evaluate your case and help you get on the right track for a fresh start.