If you’re like many people who have juvenile criminal records, you have a lot of questions – and many of them can be answered with a quick call to a Chicago expungement attorney (we’re available at 847-920-4540 if you’d like a free case review).
However, we’ve put together a list of juvenile expungement FAQ here, too, so you can find all the answers you need.
FAQ On Juvenile Expungement in Illinois
This guide answers:
- What is juvenile expungement?
- What are the benefits of juvenile expungement?
- When can I start the juvenile expungement process?
- How long does juvenile expungement take?
- What records do I need to start the juvenile expungement process?
1. What is juvenile expungement?
Juvenile expungement is the process of asking the courts to clear your juvenile criminal record. That includes arrest and other court records. Once the process is complete, it’s like your records never existed – they’re either destroyed or returned to you.
2. What are the benefits of juvenile expungement?
When your juvenile records are expunged, it’s like nothing ever happened. Nobody can see them, because they’ve been destroyed or returned to you.
Related: Expungement in Illinois in 2019
3. When can I start the juvenile expungement process?
You have to wait until all your cases are closed before you can start the process. If you’re trying to expunge records related to a case where you were found guilty of a Class A misdemeanor or a felony, you have to wait at least 2 years from the end of your sentence.
4. How long does juvenile expungement take?
Every case is different, but you can expect the juvenile expungement process to take about 6 months – give or take a few months. There are several factors that come into play here, including what happens at your expungement hearing.
5. What records do I need to start the juvenile expungement process?
You’ll need your complete criminal history to start the juvenile expungement process in Illinois. If you have a hard time finding your records, you can ask your attorney to perform a background check to get them for you.
Do You Have More Questions About Juvenile Expungement in Illinois?
If you have questions about juvenile expungement or if you’d like to talk about your case specifically, we may be able to help you. Call us at 847-920-4540 for a free case review today.