Can Violent Crimes Be Expunged in Illinois?

If you’re like many people, you’ve heard of criminal record expungement. But what if your criminal record includes violent crimes? Can they be expunged? This guide explains.

Can Violent Crimes Be Expunged in Illinois?

Usually, violent crimes must remain on your criminal record. The law doesn’t allow them to be expunged. Some examples of violent crimes include domestic battery, crimes against animals, crimes that require you to register as a sex offender, kidnapping and homicide. These crimes stay on your criminal record forever.

Related: Can you look up expunged records?

What About Sealing?

Some violent crimes can be sealed in Illinois. Sealing, which is often seen as an alternative to expungement, is sometimes available to people who have violent crimes on their criminal records.

What’s the Alternative to Expungement and Sealing in Illinois?

The only alternative to expungement and sealing is a pardon. However, pardons are notoriously difficult to get. They require approval from the governor of the state, and most people who ask for pardons don’t get them.

What About Other Crimes?

We know this seems like a lot of doom and gloom because expungement and sealing are not available for violent crimes. However, even if you have violent crimes on your criminal record, you may still be eligible to expunge or seal other offenses.

For most people, the best way to find out whether a criminal record qualifies for expungement or sealing is to talk to an attorney. Your attorney will need to see your complete criminal record (but if you don’t have a copy of it, that’s okay – your lawyer can conduct a criminal background check to get it). if you have crimes on your record that are eligible for expungement or sealing, your attorney will let you know. Then, you can take the appropriate steps to get your record cleaned up so you can begin moving forward.

Related: Does a forcible felony stay on your record in Illinois?

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Expungement or Sealing?

If you’re tired of your criminal past coming back to bite you, we may be able to help. Call us right now at 847-920-4540 or fill out the form below so we can talk about your case.

Need Help? Reach Out Now.

"*" indicates required fields