Certificate of Expungement for Military Service Members

If you’ve been honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces – any branch, including the reserve components – you may be able to petition the Illinois Prisoner Review Board for a certificate of eligibility for expungement.

There are exceptions, though, so this may not apply to you.

Which Veterans Can Apply for a Certificate of Expungement?

Some veterans who have been convicted of some Class 3 or Class 4 felonies are eligible (if you’re not a veteran, you can check your eligibility for expungement here).

However, you cannot apply for a Certificate of Expungement for Military if you have been convicted of:

In order to successfully apply for this type of expungement eligibility, you’ll need to prove your service with your DD 214. If you don’t have a copy of your DD 214, you can get a free one from the National Archives Veterans’ Records Service. You can use the government’s eVetRecs system to request a copy online or you may request one by mail.

How to Expunge Your Criminal Record When You’re a Veteran

Many veterans find that it’s helpful to work with a Chicago expungement lawyer who can handle every aspect of the expungement process.

Provide your lawyer with a copy of your DD 214; he’ll need it to prove your service to the court and ensure that you’re qualified to receive a Certificate of Expungement for Military. Give your attorney a copy of your criminal record, as well.

The Illinois Prisoner Review Board will be able to evaluate your situation. They can decide to grant or deny your petition; they can also request that you attend a public hearing in Chicago.

If you’re denied, you must wait 4 years before you file again. You must also wait 4 years before you file for an Executive Clemency or Certificate of Sealing unless the Chairman of the Board grants you a waiver.

Are You a Veteran Who Needs to Expunge a Criminal Record?

If you’re a veteran who wants to expunge a criminal record, call us at 847-920-4540 or get in touch with us online. We may be able to help you clear your record and get the fresh start that you deserve.